In February 2014, Teqqa (www.teqqa.com) announced an interactive antibiogram, done in partnership with the University of Pennsylvania Health System (UPHS) . The 'iAntibiogram' delivers timely, focused information to providers using a smartphone-enabled platform, up-to-date susceptibility results, inclusion of drug information and clinical guidelines, and ability to drill down on susceptibility by looking at specific specimen source, facility, and ICU.
The iAntibiogram seeks to increase provider engagement and improve prescribing choices. Since the launch of the iAntibiogram, the University of Pennsylvania has seen a 100x increase in usage compared with the previous antibiogram. The iAntibiogram delivers data directly to the physicians' smartphones, replacing the former practice of providing static data to clinicians once a year.
Since launching the iAntibiogram, early findings include:
- Over 700 unique users in the health system have logged in.
- The iAntibiogram has seen 9000+ unique sessions.
- On average, each unique user has utilized the iAntibiogram over a dozen times.
- The average number of page views per iAntibiogram session is 5.09.
- When viewing susceptibility by bug class, users view gram positive 42% of the time and gram negative 58% of the time.
- The top 5 drug information pages viewed were Amoxicillin-Clavulanate, Daptomycin, Amikacin, Ceftazidime, and Linezolid.
“The Teqqa apps are now engrained in our antimicrobial stewardship process, providing us with quick access to data and resistance patterns to inform our physicians’ prescribing decisions,” said Keith Hamilton, M.D., associate healthcare epidemiologist and director of antimicrobial stewardship at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. “Physician usage of antibiograms has grown exponentially since we instituted the Teqqa iAntibiogram: from an average of 28 views a month of our web-based static antibiogram to an average of 3,900 views per month of the Teqqa iAntibiogram. It is now a part of how we deliver top patient care.”
Teqqa's mission is to partner with healthcare institutions to optimize antibiotic use. Their comprehensive product improves care through clinical decision support, analytics, and work tools. To learn more, visit www.teqqa.com/mission.